Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/17/2009 1:14:06 AM EDT
I haven't used the C&R in quite some time, so I kind of have the urge to use it before it expires next year (I will renew, for sure.)

But the problem is I simply cannot get excited about Mosins. I guess I don't like the way they look.

I have a couple of "unissued" Yugo M48s, and I am excited about those.

Mausers excite me, Mosins... not so much.

Certainly, the price is right, however.

So, why do I need a Mosin? What the hell makes them so cool that I should spend $80 on one plus another couple of hundred for ammo?

Please convince me!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:17:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Because they're awesome?  Because ammo is available?  Because they're designed to work in crazy cold temperature where a rifle with closer tolerances (mauser et al.) would freeze up.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:18:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Fireball.  Well at least from my '44
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:19:06 AM EDT
[#3]
All of the above.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:35:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Cheep boolitz.

And you can arm the neighbors for cheap.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:33:58 AM EDT
[#5]
all you need to know is in this post ar vs ak vs mosin
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:54:36 AM EDT
[#6]
7.62x54R has way, way more punch than 5.56mm.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:01:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Because they're awesome?  Because ammo is available?  Because they're designed to work in crazy cold temperature where a rifle with closer tolerances (mauser et al.) would freeze up.

Uh, at what temperature do you believe a Mauser will "freeze up?" To the OP, nothing wrong with owning a Mosin but no Mauser is going to "freeze up" in cold weather conditions on Earth.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:08:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, at what temperature do you believe a Mauser will "freeze up?" To the OP, nothing wrong with owning a Mosin but no Mauser is going to "freeze up" in cold weather conditions on Earth.

Not neccessarily so....My last M24/47 Yugo had a bad case of sloooowww motion firingpin fall during not all that cold of weather! Turns out I hadn't cleaned enough grease out of the bolt.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:14:25 AM EDT
[#9]
If I was you, I wouldn't waste my time or money (flame suit on).

I have had a few of them and the quality control on those was horrible. The bore sizes are all over the board including one (the first one I ever bought) which measured .318".
I competed for years in some local matches where we shot milsurp rifles out to 400 yards, and then in a couple matches per year out to 800 yards. We would sometimes get close to 50 people at a match. Over the years people have tried to use Mosins and they just can't cut the mustard. They are probably the worst milsurp rifle out there in terms of accuracy. Keep in mind I am not talking about shooting beer cans from 50 yards when I talk about accuracy. After this match has existed now for probably 6 or 7 years, nobody even tries a Mosin anymore. They were long ago, proven to be pieces of shit.

There are much better rifles out there including much better rifles chambered in 7.62x54R namely the Finn M39 which is a very refined Mosin.

Don't buy one based on price either. If you do that buy a Hi-Point pistol also since you are basing your gun buying decisions on price instead of quality and accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:20:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Germans has issues with their k98s not operating well in the failed winter offensive into Russia.  The Russians did not have this problem.  MOA means shit if you can't get your bolt to move.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:21:44 AM EDT
[#11]
For $200 bucks you can buy a rifle and a spam can of ammo.  

Get the 91/30, attach bayonet, and have people asking you were you got that "musket."  

You'll be able to miss your target, beat up your shoulder and you get to open your rifle with a mallet.  That way you can truly appreciate the fine qualities of your K31.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:28:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Germans has issues with their k98s not operating well in the failed winter offensive into Russia.  The Russians did not have this problem.  MOA means shit if you can't get your bolt to move.

Of all the many misfortunes Hitler had on the Eastern Front, Mauser bolts "freezing up" was not one of them. The basic Mauser action has been copied countless times in commercial hunting rifles and other various military actions for 100 plus years. Cold weather does not cause them to "freeze up"

I'm not going to highjack this thread, this will be the last comment I have on Mausers "freezing up"

OP: Get a Mosin, for the price, you cannot go wrong
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:36:29 AM EDT
[#13]
No,you shouldn't buy one.

After you get the Nagant,you'll have to get a K.98.After the Mauser,you have to get an Enfield.After you get the Carcano and Arisaka you'll feel like you're leaving out the K.31 and MAS 36 and by this point even though you've never spent more than $300 on one of them,you'll have to shell out for an 03 Springfield as well.

It's a slippery slope but it's a fun one to slide down.

Milsurps FTW.There's nothing like great big loud boomy fun.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:40:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought an M44 when they were $50.00 a couple of years ago.  Fun rifle and it makes a lot of noise and quite a muzzle flash.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:46:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Buying them makes Lenin cry. You do want to make Lenin cry, don't you?

-Mark
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:57:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Cause there badass....thats why you should buy one!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:05:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Mosins suck and so do you.

[/reverse psychology]

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:09:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Do it!  I just bought one last week.  I still haven't been able to hit the range with it.  Hopefully this weekend I can see what it is like to shoot one.  Yes I bought it and have never fired one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:20:25 AM EDT
[#19]
why buy 1 when you could have 2 or more? i have 2 and think they are cool. ammo is cheap and available, they make good wood chuck disposers also
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:23:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Karate rifles are fun and cheap.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:26:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only reason a K98 would "freeze up" would because the oil or grease would congeal.  Any rifle would have similar issues using the wrong lube.  IIRC the Russians removed all the lube from their rifles using gasoline to avoid that problem.  Anyway the Mosins are archaic POS!  It took the Fins to make them into a half decent rifle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:33:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I've got 2 or 3 91's and like 7 44's with a thousand rounds for each.

Don't really know why, but something told me I needed to do this.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:38:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
All of the above.

+1

Seriously, for $80 you get a gun that was designed for Russian conscripts, uses cheap-ass smelly surplus ammo, will work every time you pull the trigger, has a long bayonet that makes liberals cry, and spits fire three feet out the muzzle. I see nothing not to like. They can easily do 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards with decent ammo.

If you would like more accuracy, take a look at the Finnish M39, they are built on captured MN91s, but had much better barrels installed (by companies such as Sig). Accuracy wise, they will keep up with any mil-surp, but the cost goes up a little.

ETA: as an added bonus, shooting a M44 usually clears out the range I shoot at. Must be the noise? But it is nice to get the range to yourself.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:03:25 AM EDT
[#24]

i was waiting for someone to repost this from several months ago

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:07:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All of the above.

+1

Seriously, for $80 you get a gun that was designed for Russian conscripts, uses cheap-ass smelly surplus ammo, will work every time you pull the trigger, has a long bayonet that makes liberals cry, and spits fire three feet out the muzzle. I see nothing not to like. They can easily do 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards with decent ammo.

If you would like more accuracy, take a look at the Finnish M39, they are built on captured MN91s, but had much better barrels installed (by companies such as Sig). Accuracy wise, they will keep up with any mil-surp, but the cost goes up a little.

ETA: as an added bonus, shooting a M44 usually clears out the range I shoot at. Must be the noise?
But it is nice to get the range to yourself.

Oh the noise.  When I bought the M44 I brought it back to where I was staying, cleaned it up, and took it out to fire it.  A neighbor came over from about a mile up the road.  He wanted to know if I was shooting a cannon.  I showed him the Mosin, bayonet deployed, and asked him if he wanted to shoot it.  He declined but did shoot an AR for fun.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:12:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:38:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Germans used an synthetic oil which became sticky in extreme cold weather,while the Russians used a mixture with sunflower oil in it.  After the Germans changed to a similar mixture they did not have trouble.  Not an issue with the guns.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:01:00 AM EDT
[#28]
For the price pick up one and add it to your collection. If you were to get only one go to a gunshow and find a post war m44 they are usualy in great shape almost brand new.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:09:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Alike you I was not sure what I needed with an other rifle.Having sold my AK,  I was feeling gun poor. I got a 1939 91/30 in nice shape. Gun shoots good,kicks ok. And is cheap to shoot- buy one
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:21:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Don't buy one..

Buy a whole damn crate!  Then everyon can have fun.  Seriously though, the Mosin is fun. I take mine out more than the K98 and 03

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Buy a crate full of them and a bunch of ammo, so you can arm everyone on your block when the zombies attack.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:23:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:25:38 AM EDT
[#33]
For the price of the rifle, and the ammo, I think the question is why don't you have one already? I have one and love it. It doesn't hurt the wallet too bad to put 50 rounds through it at the range, and it does a number on empty propane cans at 50 yeards. Get one. Just stay away from laquer coated ammo .
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:35:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Finnish M39 FTW.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Watch "Enemy at the Gates." Then realize that you can own and shoot an historic firearm on the cheap.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Cheep boolitz.

Surplus ammo is cheap, but not so useful for us because a lot of ranges here ban steel ammo. If it attracts a magnet, they ban it.

So, we either have to stock up on the surplus Yugo (which is not so cheap) or buy new production.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#37]
If you need convincing,  don't buy one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Dude, it's under a hundred bucks.  You can waste that feeding some damned woman on a date.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If I was you, I wouldn't waste my time or money (flame suit on).

I have had a few of them and the quality control on those was horrible. The bore sizes are all over the board including one (the first one I ever bought) which measured .318".
I competed for years in some local matches where we shot milsurp rifles out to 400 yards, and then in a couple matches per year out to 800 yards. We would sometimes get close to 50 people at a match. Over the years people have tried to use Mosins and they just can't cut the mustard. They are probably the worst milsurp rifle out there in terms of accuracy. Keep in mind I am not talking about shooting beer cans from 50 yards when I talk about accuracy. After this match has existed now for probably 6 or 7 years, nobody even tries a Mosin anymore. They were long ago, proven to be pieces of shit.

There are much better rifles out there including much better rifles chambered in 7.62x54R namely the Finn M39 which is a very refined Mosin.

Don't buy one based on price either. If you do that buy a Hi-Point pistol also since you are basing your gun buying decisions on price instead of quality and accuracy.

Interesting info, thanks.

I know the Finn M39s are great. I wish I had bought 3 when Burns Bros had a boat load of them in 2000.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#40]
For what they cost it's worth it just to hang one over the fireplace, bayonet attached of course.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#41]
caution..... they can get very addicting!

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Buy it.  They are fun to shoot and won't break the bank.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#44]
The history part is interesting to me. Plus, it is fun to have a rifle that you aren't afraid to take a hammer to.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#45]
I checked all of them. With good ammo they can be extremely accurate, and they aren't as "heavy" as people seem to think they are. They are heavy enough though to make the recoil of the 7.62x54R fairly tame. A M44 is easily carried in the woods as a deer rifle, and the ammo it fires is more than powerful enough to kill anything in the U.S. even at fairly long ranges. The 91/30 would be a little on the large side for thick woods, but could still be done.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I haven't used the C&R in quite some time, so I kind of have the urge to use it before it expires next year (I will renew, for sure.)

But the problem is I simply cannot get excited about Mosins. I guess I don't like the way they look.

I have a couple of "unissued" Yugo M48s, and I am excited about those.

Mausers excite me, Mosins... not so much.

Certainly, the price is right, however.

So, why do I need a Mosin? What the hell makes them so cool that I should spend $80 on one plus another couple of hundred for ammo?

Please convince me!

Dude.......they're $80. Some of them look new. They're fun to pick through. Local shop had two crates of them. Everybody was checking them out, trying to find one that lit their fire. I bought two M44's. One was back-bored, one wasn't. I wanted to see if it made any difference in accuracy. I used 7N1 147grn ball sniper ammo. Off a gun vice I got 2" groups at 100yds. The back-bored barrel shot as good as the regular crowned barrel.

The flash at night is cool, the boom is cool. It's a piece of history. Some poor batard could have been clinging to that rifle in Stalingrad, or carrying it through the streets of Berlin. Who knows, but one thing is for sure, love it or hate it, it made history.

And if it said Remington on the receiver it would be a $489 rifle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of all the many misfortunes Hitler had on the Eastern Front, Mauser bolts "freezing up" was not one of them. The basic Mauser action has been copied countless times in commercial hunting rifles and other various military actions for 100 plus years. Cold weather does not cause them to "freeze up"

I'm not going to highjack this thread, this will be the last comment I have on Mausers "freezing up"

OP: Get a Mosin, for the price, you cannot go wrong

Damnit...twice in one night I am in complete agreement with you.

There is a disturbance in the force...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Last option.

And they are most certainly not a relic of the Soviet Union.

They were in service of Czarist Russia and have been through a civil war or two long before the Soviet Union became what it was.  Especially the '91 model.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#49]

You know what to do.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Mosin's are great.  I love the quality.  Great Bear Gun.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top